With the opportunity to serve the St. Cloud surrounding communities since 1972, we have a great history and several notable firsts in terms of procedures for the Community.
1526 Northway Drive
- On May 23, 1993, the Center moved to the new 25,000 square foot, 9 operating room facility.
- On June 2, 1993, the first Recovery Care Unit patient stayed overnight. She was a pediatric patient who underwent a tonsillectomy. The RCU made the St. Cloud Surgical Center the first freestanding outpatient surgical center in Minnesota to offer an overnight stay.
- In September 1994, Medical Care America became part of Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation, which was the largest health care company in the nation at that time. Surgical Center ownership included the general partner ownership of approximately 70% and limited partner ownership of approximately 30%.
- In 1995, the Ambulatory Surgery Division (ASD) of Columbia/HCA participated in the Malcolm Baldrige Health Care Pilot Program. They pooled their resources to discover the best practices possible for their customers resulting in national recognition. Under Columbia/HCA’s guidance, the Best Demonstrated Practices (BDP) program for quality improvement was implemented.
- On April 1, 1999, the pain management program changed hands to Medical Advanced Pain Specialists (MAPS).
- On July 1, 1998, HealthSouth Corporation acquired the St. Cloud Surgical Center. HEALTHSOUTH is comprised of surgical centers, diagnostic centers, physical therapy centers and rehabilitation hospitals and is located in all 50 states.
- Expansion at 1526 Northway Drive - Expansion in 2002 created more patient support rooms and two additional operating rooms, resulting in a total of 11 operating rooms and over 36,000 square feet.
- November 2005: Expansion of loading dock/recycling and garbage areas including coat room space and storage for housekeeping, office and other supplies.
- On July 1, 2008, St. Cloud Surgical Center's corporate partner changed to Surgical Care Affiliates.
- On February 1, 2014, Central MN Surgery Center merged with St. Cloud Surgical Center and Surgical Care Affiliates.
1401 W St. Germain
1972 - 1993
- In August of 1972, Dr. Belshe relocated the Surgical Center to the old May Printing Building. The first case was done on August 10th.
- Over the ensuing years the facility grew from 1 operating room to 6, from 8,000 to 11,500 square feet.
- On January 23, 1980, the St. Cloud Surgical Center earned its first AAAHC accreditation and has remained AAAHC accredited ever since.
- On October 1, 1982, Medical 21 purchased the St. Cloud Surgical Center from the partnership. In 1984, Medical 21 merged with Surgicare to become Medical Care International, Inc (MCI).
- On April 1, 1987, The St. Cloud Surgical Center restructured itself into a limited partnership. The corporate owner: the general partner, St. Cloud Surgical Center, Inc., and the limited partner comprised of physician ownership: St. Cloud Outpatient Surgery, Ltd.
- In 1991 Medical Care International, Inc. merged with Critical Care America to become Medical Care America (MCA), the nation’s largest owner and operator of ambulatory surgical centers.
- The Center received its first payment from Medicare on September 7, 1982.
- On October 1, 1992, the Center performed its first pain management procedure under the guidance of Dr. L. Michael Espeland of Anesthesia Associates, PA.
816 W St. Germain
Dr. Joseph C. Belshe founded the St. Cloud Surgical center in 1972. The first procedures were performed in an office setting at this Physicians & Surgeons Building.
The St. Cloud Surgical Center was the first freestanding outpatient surgical center in Minnesota and the second in the nation (after Surgicare of Phoenix, Arizona).
SOME OF THE COMMUNITY FIRSTS PERFORMED AT THE SURGICAL CENTER:
- Laparoscopic gallbladder surgery (1990)
- Endometrial ablation (1992)
- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy (1992)
- Endoscopic breast augmentations (1993)
- Ultrasonic liposuction (1997)
- LASIK procedure (1997)
- Advanced surgeries as well as minor procedures are done at the Center. From a colonoscopy, lump removal, and ear tubes, to cataract and knee surgery to a laparoscopic cholecystectomy or hysterectomy, to a laminectomy, mastoidectomy and advanced shoulder surgery are performed in the Center.